IT'S A GOOD CORNBREAD
Adapted from Beth Kirby (Local Milk)
Makes one 9" skillet of cornbread or 10 " for thinner bread
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- Heat oven to 425° F.
- Grease a cast iron skillet with bacon grease and place in the oven while it heats.
- Mix the first four ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in the fat with your fingers or two knives, mixing well until you have a sandy texture.
- Combine the eggs and the buttermilk, mix in corn, add to the dry ingredients, and mix to combine well. Don't over mix.
- Pour the mixture into the hot skillet and bake for 20 minutes. Invert onto a plate. I like to serve it upside down with the nice crispy side up like my grandma did!
- This is an excellent cornbread.